Encourage the authorities and actors in charge of urban cleanliness to set a good example on the environment
26. Prohibiting single-use food containers within regional and municipal administrative bodies.
Legislating to ban single-use food and drink containers within the regional and local public administrations of Brussels.
27. A strategy for the purchase by Brussels-Propreté and the Brussels municipalities of green goods transport vehicles (cargo bikes) and green equipment (electric snow-blowers) in order to reduce CO2 emissions and nuisance.
Deploying a strategy for purchasing green goods transport vehicles and green equipment in order to reduce CO2 emissions and other forms of pollution, such as noise, generated by Bruxelles-Propreté and recommending this strategy to the municipalities in Brussels, in order to step up the use of cargo bikes, electric sweepers and low-noise blowers.
28. Using waste water for cleaning public spaces or construction sites in order to preserve natural resources.
Developing the use of wastewater for cleaning public spaces and construction sites, to save natural resources in the Brussels-Capital Region’s cleaning services.
29. Increasing vegetation and green spaces in the design of public spaces, accompanied by the removal of waste in order to ensure greater respect for these places.
Promoting vegetation and green spaces in the development of public spaces, ensuring their adoption by the general public and their maintenance, including the removal of waste by the competent public services in order to ensure greater respect for these places.
During the winter of 2021 and 2022, in line with its policy of ‘depaving’ public spaces, Brussels Mobility planted nearly 1,550 new trees of 150 different species. Many greening projects have also been carried out to increase soil permeability, such as the redevelopment of the green area at the end of Avenue Louise near the Legrand tram stop. This project involves 20 planted trees and a depaved area of 900m2.
An initiative of Brussels Mobility
30. Providing urban cleaning personnel with the most ergonomic and effective equipment to make their work easier and reduce accidents.
Through an approach based on consultation, providing ergonomic, innovative and effective equipment for performing urban cleanliness tasks, to limit the risk of injury to personnel and facilitate and improve the work carried out in this area.